Traveling with your little one is a daunting task. You really don’t know how much shit they have and need until you’re trying to put it all together for a trip. Whether you are driving or flying, you still want to provide them the comforts of home while you’re away but you don’t want to have to pay overweight charges on your luggage.
We have traveled with Logan 4 times since he has been born. The first time was a 5 hour car ride down to St. James, Florida; then we traveled last minute from ORL (Orlando, FL) to LAX (I had 6 hours to prep for this one, so that’s where I learned the most); Staycay down in Orlando; & our most recent trip ORL to ONT (Ontario, CA)
Mom Hack : There is a great service called BabyQuip.com, they provide baby gear rentals at your destination so you don’t need to pack it all up. You simply reserve it, pick it up or have it delivered! So simple. They have everything ranging from car seats, pack n plays, toys, etc. It seriously saved my ass when we traveled to California and I was desperate for a pack n play without having to: a) lug ours b) buy & return. You already have so much on your plate, you don’t need to add one more.
However, if you’re looking to travel lean and with a purpose, here is a list of my essentials that keep your little one happy, mom’s sanity intact, and efficiency on point.
The best part of this list. Everything is prime-able and at your door within 2 days! These are only my top picks, not everything you need for traveling! If you want some car essentials, head over to my instagram & check my highlight!
HERE WE GO:
- hiccapop Omniboost Travel Booster Seat with Tray – $30 (this was one of my favorite things I bought this past trip! With Logan eating solids, he was able to keep up with his “high chair” routine. This one is great because it straps down to a chair OR you can use it independently as a standalone. We actually took this to my step dads graduation and sat him down on his own seat sans the tray. He loves it)
- Mommy’s Helper Inflatable Bath Tub Froggie Collection – $13 (I mean this is f*cking genius. It folds up into a pocket sized carryable and blows up into a tub WITH a stopper in the middle so your baby doesn’t slide down! I wish our SkipHop tub had this feature because its a straight panic when he starts kicking his way down)
- BREAST FEEDING MAMAS – BellaBaby Portable Double Breast Pump – $60
- BREAST FEEDING MAMAS – Kiinde Breast Milk Storage Starter Kit – $20 (this is great because you can pump directly in the bags using the adapters & pump above so you don’t need to worry about cleaning bottles)
- MOBY Evolution Baby Wrap – $50 (you will want to wear your baby going through the airport, you can use your stroller to carry the diaper bag. You also have to put the stroller through security so its MUCH easier; I also prefer the Moby vs. the Ergo while on a plane because it’s less bulky, more natural and comfortable for baby)
- FORMULA MAMAS – BEABA formula and snack container – $10 (this is great for those who are formula feeding because it creates a no mess no fuss way to make bottles on the go! We supplement so I use this A LOT when we are out and about)
- Dock-a-tot – $175 (now this item is a SPLURGE but Logan sleeps in it every night so to maintain his routine, we always bring it with us. It is great if we don’t have his Pack-n-play for him to bed share with us or for naps on the couch/floor; Logan has been sleeping through the night since he was about 6 weeks, I 100% give kudos to this contraption)
- Snuggle Me Organic – $128 (here is a cheaper alternative to the Dock-a-tot. We have both and love both for difference reasons, however the Dock in my opinion is much easier to travel with. BUT, that is not to discredit the coziness of the Snuggle Me Organic)
- OurSunshine Travel Silicone Bottles – $12 (perfect size for shampoo and lotion + you get extra for yourself!)
- ZOHZO Car Seat Travel Bag – $40 (nothing worse than lugging your car seat through the airport, especially with the base. This car seat bag has wheels and back pack like straps so you can tow it or wear it while on your trek. It also keeps your car seat safe from damage when you gate check it. NOTE: it doesn’t protect from negligence aka throwing on behalf of the airline but it will keep it clean from environmental factors and reduce the risk of tearing)
- Baby Trend Lightweight Rocket Stroller – $50 (We still travel with our Nuna Tavo because Logan still uses his car seat that clicks in (Nuna Pipa Lite LX), HOWEVER, my mom gave us this amazing cute travel stroller that will soon become an essential item when we travel. I couldn’t find the exact one, so here is one that is comparable!)
- Baby Beach Tent – $28 (depending on your destination, this item is arguable one of the best ones if you’re spending time at the beach. This little SPF 50 folding beach tent is amazing. Gives your little one a place to lay and play without getting sunburned or sandy)
- Skip Hop Owl Travel Sound Machine – $26
- Baby Feeding Set – $28 (i love this set because it has everything I need and its easy cleaning)
- OXO TOT on-the-go drying rack & brush – $15 (keep your bottles clean and not cluttery)
- DREFT travel sink packets – $10 (great for easy washing on-the-go)
- Travel Bottle Warmer – $14 (this is even great for long car rides when you need to warm up some breast milk or water for formula)
- 3-in-1 Universal Travel Bag – $55 (GAME CHANGER ALERT! This bag folds out into a travel bed but also has enough pockets for you to store the essentials while traveling. I mean, genius! NOTE: I only use this for supervised naps and rest, I wouldn’t use it overnight.
- Multifunction Waterproof Bag – $36 (I absolutely LOVE our Freshly Picked bag, however, I got this bag for when we are on the boat because it zips completely and is waterproof. I actually take this traveling now too because of how convenient it is with its insulated pockets, and easy storage. This is also the bag we will probably take to amusement parks too!)
- Rechargeable Stroller Fan – $20 (We use this every day on our walks because it has already started to get warm around here. It is rechargeable so you don’t need a gazillion batteries and it has multiple speed settings. )
- Skip Hop Travel Mat – $20 (this easy clean mat folds up the perfect size for your diaper bag or suit case.)
*This blog contains affiliate links. I receive a small monetary commission on your purchase.
•Always gate check your stroller & car seat. Use the car seat bag linked above to protect it. Gate checking baby items is FREE.
• Baby wear throughout the airport. You’re going to have to send the stroller through the scanner so it’s better than putting babies up and down while also lugging travel items.
• Invest in a good backpack that you can fit EVERYTHING in (especially if you’re traveling solo). You’re not going to want to push a stroller and pull the car seat bag AND your carry on.
• You can bring as many ounces of breast milk through TSA as you want. I brought a little lunch pail with a cold pack in it to keep it cold. NOTE: ask your flight attendant for a half cup of hot water to warm the BM en route.
• Make sure you have non-noisy entertainment for your little one. We brought teethers, stuffed animals, etc. but tbh, he was mostly entertained by my drink napkin.
• Sanitize the shit out of your seat and tray using sanitizing wipes and sanitize your hands after touching EVERYTHING!
• Always schedule your flights around their night time sleep schedule or nap time. Logan sleeps through the night so we always schedule night flights so he sleeps through that too. It’s really helpful especially for long treks.
• Ask for help if you need it. Flight attendants are there to attend to you.
I hope you have safe travels wherever your destination may be. If you have any questions regarding traveling with baby, my instagram DM’s are ALWAYS open to you!