Traveling can be so stressful. Making sure you remember everything is probably on the top of your list. Here are a few of my personal fave essential items when traveling.
1 | The Perfect Carry-On
Traveling is so stressful! Don’t make it harder by misplacing your passport, headphones, etc. I keep a handy little pouch full of the most critical items to just grab and go prior to departure (however, you might need a restock so make sure you double triple check it at least 2 weeks beforehand).
Some Key Essentials:
- Passport – I always like to bring my passport just in case something happens to my drivers license or military ID. It is always a good practice to have 2 forms of identification when traveling! While it is a 100% necessity when traveling abroad, I like to stow it away once I reach my destination in their safes provided in the hotel room OR in my discreet pocket in my luggage
- Savvy Travelers – these wipes are a GODSEND to a traveling babe. My current fave is the Jet Set Kit, you get : a premium selection of travel wet wipes to remove makeup, apply deodorant, freshen your breath, and more. Perfect for a little refresh before hopping off the plane
- Meds – I always like to keep a stash of Aspirin, Imodium (just in case), Claritan (non-drowsy), Benedryl (drowsy to knock my ass out), B12 and Emergen-C.
- Cash – keep a accessible stash of at least $50-$100 domestic and $50-$100 to the country you’re traveling to, prior to departure. While airports have kiosks, you can sometimes find a cheaper or fee free exchange locally. Also, depending on what time you arrive/depart, in airport kiosks might be closed! Be prepared! Another good cash practice is to notify your bank that you will be traveling so you don’t get a block on your card (happened to my Dad in Italy, not fun!) and keep an emergency credit card!
- Refillable Water Bottle – hydration while traveling is key!
- Snacks – the snack cart only comes around so many times and not only that, these days you have to pay for your munchies. Save some $$ by packing a fiber bar, or my favorite inflight snack, laughing cow cheese and GG crackers.
- Headphones – since we are in the generation of bluetooth everything, some airplanes haven’t caught up. Make sure you bring aux cord headphones and if you’re an iPhone 7 and beyond user like me, don’t forget your adapter
- iPad (or Laptop) – I love loading 1-2 movies, 1-2 books and some non wifi games before I venture off. This way I don’t get bored and I have some go to faves that I know I will enjoy!
- Portable Phone/iPad Charger – get a portable phone charger that will go the distance, not just any ole cheapie one on the block. My favorite one from Amazon holds 2-3 full phone charges which completely saved my ass in Iceland! Bring the proper cords that you would use to charge your phone as well. Some planes have plugs, I keep my phone properly plugged during my trip so I don’t use up my reserves and have a fully charged phone once I reach my destination.
2 | Dress for Comfort
Seriously when I have traveled I cannot get more basic. VS PINK everything, hair tied, no makeup, Ugg boots or slides with my shameless Skinny Vanilla Latte in my left hand and iPhone in my right. B-A-S-I-C! However, as of late, looking rich-homeless has been less and less desirable (call it turning 26). Now I go for travel chic which is still equally as comfortable but less uni-bomber. I love love love JoyLab’s Women’s Premium Moto Leggings (available at Target); paired with a comfy sports bra or bralette, a crisp white or black V-neck, a bomber jacket and my Kate Spade Keds. This creates more comfortable layers. You wouldn’t want to travel to Cali when its 80 in Uggs, just like you wouldn’t fly to NYC in flip flops. Sneaks are a happy medium that is comfy, your in-flight jacket provides you with just enough warmth if it’s cold in flight and to use as a blanket And I don’t even need to justify leggings. (Make sure if you’re flying to colder weather you place your heaviest coat and boots ON TOP of your luggage so when you retrieve it, you can easily layer up before heading outside the airport.
3 | Pack with Intent
I am one of those people who packs 3-4 days ahead of time just in case I need to Amazon Prime/Now something I need a refill of. Here are some of my luggage MUST HAVES.
- Toiletry bag – I love this Waterproof Nylon Organizer for Travel Accessories. It unfolds to 3 layers, the 1st layer is perfect for makeup, the 2nd layer being perfect to stand up my shampoo, conditioner, face wash, rose water spray and the bottom layer great for jar’d serums, face masks, etc.
- Luggage Organizer – while this might seem silly, I cannot tell you how much more efficient I pack when I use 6 Set Travel Multi-functional Clothing Sorting Packages. Make sure you roll all your clothes! Increases capacity and keeps them wrinkle free!
- 3 Pairs of Leggings – yes, I said 3. The moto ones I mentioned above, a good pair to layer with a tunic and a fun pair (ie; leather leggings, velvet leggings, etc). Sometimes traveling can leave you bloated but you don’t have to sacrifice looking Instagrammy because of it.
- Easy to layer tanks/tees with equally easy lightweight knit sweaters – I love getting my tanks, tees and sweaters from LOFT. They are durable and easy to wash and wear!
- 2 pairs of Jeans – I like having 1 light 1 dark!
- Undies galore – I don’t skimp on panties. I seriously dump my entire drawer into my suitcase. Why? LADIES! You just never know! Travel can mess with our cycle, our pH, our everything… Just trust me. Take your normal packing amount and double it.
- 1 bra, 3 sports bras and bralettes – I hate your everyday underwire bra. Even though my girls could use it all the time, I live for comfort. That doesn’t change when I travel, if anything, I want more comfort and ease so I can focus more on experiences, less on my ladies. Find a good bralette and a couple solid cotton sports bras and you’re golden!
*This blog posts contains affiliate links.